What causes brown discharge if periods are late by six days?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,
I am 4 days late for my period. 6 days before period was due I had brown discharge when I wiped after using the toilet. I had 2 instances of watery blood also when I wiped. This lasted for 6 days.
I have taken HPT with negative result.
I feel pregnant. I am bloated, tired, slight cramping in abdomen and achy in my lower back and hips. Not sure what else to do.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Home pregnancy test after 8 days of delay in periods is reliable.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mxxxxxxxxx,
Thank you for using health care magic for your health concern.
If you have a regular menstrual cycle... your symptoms do suggest possibility of pregnancy... the bleeding could be an implantation bleeding in short cycles (less than 30 days).
Home pregnancy test is reliable after 8 days delay in period.You should repeat the test after 4-6 more days.In case you are very anxious ... you can go for blood hcg testing ,which is a laboratory test.
You can take lemon 10 -20 drops in a glass of warm water to relieve bloating .Using Asaphoitida in cooking can also help.
Take Tab. Paracetamol after food if the pain in too much.But do not foment or massage .
In case pregnancy test is + ve ,normality of pregnancy should be confirmed by usg pelvis after 5 weeks of pregnancy.
If test is -ve or you had history of irregular periods ... you should consult your gynecologist for correcting menstrual cycles.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.