Had HCG shot and IUI done. Confused with home pregnancy test. Is it early detection?

I had an HCG shot the 19th of July and then the IUI done the 20th. I had two follicles @ 20mm on on the left and one on the right.. I did however take a home pregnancy test to see how long it would take for the HCG to get out of my system. I took one on the 24th and it was still positive and then I took one the 27th and got a negative.. I go for my blood work on Aug 3rd.. Could I not be pregnant? Or is it that it is still to early to detect? My period is suppose to start around Aug 4th
Fri, 3 Aug 2012