Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

How to determine if I have Q fever?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2254 Questions
my partner has been working with cows and blood-I am worried he may have q syndrome.he has fever, chills but also pain behind the eyes looking sideways..
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Advised further consultation with physician... Detailed Answer: Hi, First, please take note that Q fever is an infection disease caused by the bacteria. Coxiella burnetii. The common symptoms include fever and chills, pain and general malaise; while other complains can also be present. To exclude he is having Q-fever, I'd suggest to consult your physician and to run some blood works including complete blood profile and measuring the antibodies levels in order to decide on initiating the proper treatment. The most appropriate treatment include antibiotics, while the antibiotic of choice is doxycycline. At the end, the symptoms of Q fever can be challenging as might be confounded with other infectious diseases associated with high fever. Wish it was of help! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to determine if I have Q fever? 13 hours later
Dear Dr Benard I took my partner to A and E and the GP there was very thorough with bloods, urine and chest X-RAYS. He had a temp of 39.5 C .some results came back with inflamed liver, raised white blood cell but not platelet count. On DC he had not ruled out Q fever but did not prescribe doxycycline until I inquired as a preventative for further exacerbation of symptoms. so he then looked up some info and then prescribed on my request. Thanks for your answer. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Keep following up with GI for inflamed liver... Detailed Answer: Hi back XXXX, I am glad to know that you had run the appropriate tests and took that your husband started the right treatment. If the blood work did show inflamed liver, I'd suggest to keep following up with the GI specialist in order to determine what is causing inflamed liver. Most possible causes could be: - inflammation due to pesticides or chemicals he uses while doing farm works - hepatitis (A,B,C) - alcohol consumption Wish fast recovery to your husband! Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor