What causes recurrent cough and mild fever despite taking medication?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My daughter has having fever and cough few days ago. She prescibed with MoX and levolin, after that she was ok for 4 days and went to preschool. Now again she has cough and mild fever, another doc suggested to give her mucolite syrup and azitharal . Is it ok to give antibiotic again with 1 week gap. Do we need to take blook test for her? pls reply .. How can we know whether it is due to virus or bacteria?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to do a blood routine test and platelet cout also.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. As she is having mild fever and cough still the infection can be present. Mox doesn't cover bacteria like hemophilus influenza. So giving azithromycin (azithral) will be helpful which gives good coverage.
Better to do a blood routine investigation and platelet count. In case of bacterial infection leucocytrs and neutrophils will be raised.
In case of viral infections lymphocytes can be raised. If hemorrhagic fevers then platelet count can be low.
Giving vitamin C , warm fluids and mucolytics are good.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana