Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

How are fibroids treated in women ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
Hello, I have myoma. I discovered this last 2006 during my yearly pap test measuring 2.86 cm and now with my last papsmear and transvaginal ultrasound measured 5.2cm it's been 5.2 for 3 years and as per my doctor it is good. It is not giving me any discomfort or over-painful cramps. If I have cramps, in a scale from 1-10 being 10 as most unbearable pain it would be 3 or 4 which is mostly occuring 2 or 3 months in a year when seasons change. My concerns are: (1) I am for the last 3 months having my period for 15-20 days; not painful at all, with daily flushing of thumb size clots together with pouring a teaspoon of blood only on a 24 hours basis. My RBC count is 1 point lesser than normal range hence I am taking Iron supplements from Solgar called Hematinic Formula for 2x a day. My regular PAP test with HPV test and others is usually every October of eash year. Should this occurence in my menses be a valid reason to visit my OB early this year? (2) Is having myoma be a reason of having a high ESR for the last 5 years between 40 - 45? (3) If so that I need to visit my OB earlier which test should I be expecting or which do you think it is required? (4) If I want my hormones to be checked if they are on a healthy level or not, what test should I have and do I need to go to an OB for that or an endocrinologist because as well I have been diagnosed with early onset diabetes last February 2011. (5) Is having a supplement of mexican yam or mecafem for healthy hormones be okay if I start immediately or should I ask my OB for that. Thank you...
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 9 hours later
Hi Jalcudia,

The bleeding that you descried is much above normal.

Fibroids are normally noncancerous and need to remove only if u have pressure symptoms or bleeding disturbance.

U must get an ultrasound and subjective and objective assessment of blood loss done by your local gynecologist.

Anemia can explain high ESR but since your counts are almost normal its unlikely to be due to low hemoglobin or fibroids.

Do get a trans-vaginal ultrasound for pelvis done before u see your gynecologist

Mexican yam etc are safe

U can do FSH on day 2or 3 of cycle and E2 to know your hormonal status.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How are fibroids treated in women ? 15 hours later
FSH and E2 both on 2nd or 3rd day of cycle? for the transvaginal ultrasound pelvis exam do I have to do it during my 2nd or 3rd day of cycle as well or if not please advise when will be the best time to do it...As well if I have myoma do I need to do my regular pap test every year or every 6 months?

Thank you...
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 3 hours later
Hi Again,

Serum FSH and Serum E2 both on Day 2 or 3 of the menstrual cycle.
Pap smear done annually irrespective of fibroids.
TV Ultrasound best done when the periods(flow) are ending.

Thanks you and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor