Owl Image

What does my pelvic ultrasound report indicate while having persistent irregular menstrual bleeding?

Owl Image
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Question
I have been having irregular menstrual bleeding for the past year. Gyn found polyp during pap. Ordered Ultrasound. Please translate this ultrasound report into human language because I don't understand any of it. Thx. EXAMINATION: Ultrasound pelvis. CLINICAL HISTORY: Irregular menstruation with vaginal bleeding.. COMPARISON: 5/30/2008 ultrasound FINDINGS: Transabdominal, transvaginal ultrasound exam of the pelvis. Examination with fluid-filled bladder. Transabdominal: Uterus is homogeneous echotexture. The uterus approximately 7.4 x 3.6 x 4.3 cm sagittal plane. Endometrial thickness of 6.9 mm. Free fluid posterior to the mid body of the uterus is present. Decreased echogenicity left ovary from cyst is present. Left ovary measuring 4.3 x 2.7 x 3 cm. Cyst measuring 3.2 x 1.6 x 2.1 cm. Doppler blood flow to the ovary is present. Right ovary unremarkable for solid or cystic masses from this approach. The right ovary approximating 1.7 x 1.2 x 1.3 cm. Transvaginal: Homogeneous echotexture of the uterine myometrium is present. There is a massive lower uterine signal abutting the N XXXXXXX cavity adjacent to the endocervix. The mass measuring 2 x 1.42 cm. Distortion of the endometrial cavity is present at the lower uterine segment. Right ovary unremarkable for solid or cystic masses. From this approach estimate 2 x 1.2 x 1.3 cm. Doppler blood flow is present. Left ovary measuring 4.2 x 2.9 x 2.6 cm with Doppler blood flow. Hypoechoic complex mass measuring 2.9 x 2.2 x 1.7 cm. IMPRESSION: 1. Lower uterine segment mass is present resulting endometrial distortion. Differential diagnosis to include uterine fibroid with further assessment to exclude remote possibility of a endocervical neoplasm. 2. Complex left ovarian mass with internal echoes with differential diagnosis hemorrhagic cyst, endometrioma. Short-term follow-up evaluation to exclude neoplasm radiology is recommended. The 2008 exam did show a dominant cyst of the left ovary.
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need the uploaded report.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Please upload the exact ultrasound report with images, not this report that has been typed or copy pasted.
IT is important for me that you should upload the exact images and report, so that I can explain you in a better manner.
Also, what is the Pap smear report ?
Upload that as well.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Apart from irregular menstrual bleeding, is there any other problem or issue ?
Since when have periods been irregular ?
Do you have any children ?
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Follow-up: What does my pelvic ultrasound report indicate while having persistent irregular menstrual bleeding? 6 hours later
I sent you exactly what I have. I copied the exact text. I do not have imaging nor pap test results.

I'm looking for you to translate the info in the report I sent you into laymen's terms.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
The report shows a mass or a lump near the mouth of the uterus..
This could be a simple or cancerous tumour.
It is difficult to differentiate based on ultrasound.
There is a cyst in the ovary but that is same as previously found and not worrisome.
My recommendation is to go ahead and have an MRI scan done to know further details of the lump.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further