What causes heavy vaginal bleeding when diagnosed with uterine fibroids?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 3 Jan 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello,

I have had unusually heavy flooding during my period, and now I have cramping two days after. I had an endometrial biopsy and a transvaginal ultrasound about a year ago, to reveal a uterine fibroid that was fairly small. What could cause these two very heavy clotting days and the cramping after? What tests should I do to make sure I do not have ovarian cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to fibroid.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The heavy bleeding that you had can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests. This is not liekly to be related to ovarian cancer.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG), and androgen profile can be done.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.
In case any abnormal cyst is found in ovary after ultrasound scan then further investigations may be needed to rule out ovarian cancer.
You might consult your OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T