Have frequent urination, sore tailbone and aching groin. Is it bladder infection?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I seem to have a bladder infetion painless but urinating often and little also sore tailbone and aching groin
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Frequent urinating can be caused by bladder infection indeed. However it can be also a symptom of diabetes or chronic kidney failure. Pain in tailbone area and groin can be also caused by uterine issues including inflammation. If there is a blood in the urine, bladder cancer should be also ruled out. I suggest you to have some tests done. Please start with urine analysis, blood work, creatine and GFR level checked (elevated creatine and low GFR level indicate kidneys failure). Please also check your sugar blood level. Next step should be gynecologist consultation. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 days later
Dear Dr Stanko, I had visit with urologist and gynaecologist both found nothing wrong except for age related stopping up of cervix causing some fluid to be trapped presumably in uterus. I took Bactrim but as I said no bladder infection found. Aches have subsided but I have slight night sweats towards morning (have never had any menopausal symptoms before) and my stomach is still somehow pressing inside especially when I sit down or get into car. . Dr did cancer blood tests for pancreatic ovarian etc. but I have very elevated sed ( or inflammation) rate 61 I think.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Cancer blood tests are not very often negative when the cancer is present. So you can not base your diagnosis on this tests. Elevated sed rate is very non-specific indicator. It can be caused by any inflammation or any cancer. Night sweats can also indicate both conditions. And its really hard to determine what is causing your symptoms from the point of this service. I suggest you to consult your regular doctor who will be able to perform physical examination. For sure you should have: - colonoscopy every 10 years (starting from the age of 50) - abdominal ultrasound every year or two - chest X-ray (or better CT) every 2 years if you smoke Tailbone pain and groin pain can be also related to your broken hip and/or spine disc herniation. Orthopedist is a specialist who deals with this issues. But please consult your doctor first. Hope this will help. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 days later
Dear Dr Stanko. I thought your answers very good... |I'm now in London saw a doctor and have had a cT scan at London Clinic which showed diverticulitis and thickening of bowel wall in places. I am taking antibiotics one of which is Flagyl and discomfort is gone. But I am not well.... v. tired and I think losing weight. Should \I have a colonoscopy after antibiotics to see if other problems ??
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, colonoscopy is necessary. Detailed Answer: Yes, you definitely should have colonoscopy done. CT is quite good test, but it does not rule out colon cancer. There is a special type of CT which can be done instead of colonoscopy. Its called virtual CT. Such test needs to be done after complete bowels clearance, oral contrast intake and intravenous contrast as well. Some air is also blow in into rectum. As you can see, there must be very special conditions to visualize large intestine property. Diverticulitis usually gives lower left abdominal symptoms. This area is usually tender, the pain aggravates when suddenly releasing hand pressure in this area. So your symptoms seems to be not characteristic for diverticulitis. Diverticles appear due to chronic constipation. And so is colon cancer. Wall thickening in CT needs to be verified with biopsy performed during colonoscopy. So in simple words, after antibiotics course (about 2-3 weeks) colonoscopy has to be done. And not earlier, as colonoscopy done when diverticles inflammation is present can lead to perforation. And one more thing. Please note that I`m unable to perform physical examination, so its very very hard to diagnose your problem from the point of this service. I`m trying my best, but yours doctors has an advantage and it seems that you should trust them. Hope this will help. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 hours later
I am taking Flagyl and another antibiotic for one week only. You spoke of 2 or 3 weeks of antibiotics. . Colonoscopy should wait how for long after the antibiotics are finished( in general)?... I do realize that you cannot give specific answers.! Night sweats are amost completely gone now.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Antibiotic should be taken for 7-10 days. So you did get correct dosage of it. After 2-3 weeks from finished antibiotic course colonoscopy can be done. So it makes 3 - 4 weeks starting from the day you have taken first dosage of antibiotic. Hope it is clear now. Regards.