Suggest remedies for constipation

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a history of eatable bowel syndrome with constipation caused by a long use of opioids for fibromyalgia I stoped using the opioids 5 years ago but still suffer from a lack of nerve res ponce in my intentions with slow bowels so much so that I have to use Lndzess in order to have a bowel movement latly even that is no longer dependable and I have gone 5 days at a time without a movement My lase bowel movement was black as tar and gritty and excessavly long but as narow as my little finger
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advice to undergo colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Since you stopped opioids 5 years ago, the opioid is unlikely the cause of your constipation.

The two important concern with your symptoms are--
-Upper GI bleeds: Black tarry stools are indicative of the presence of digested blood in the stool. This is suggestive of an upper Gastro Intestinal bleed. Some of the causes for such a bleed include ulcer, gastritis, any tumor which can be confirmed/ruled out by an upper GI endoscopy.

-Colonic tumor: Chronic constipation with blood in stool and string like narrow stool raises the concern for colon tumor. I recommend that you undergo colonoscopy for detailed evaluation. It is also recommended for people aged above 50 to undergo screening colonoscopy every 10 years.

Please be advised to follow up with your primary care or gastroenterologist for undergoing necessary evaluation.

Meanwhile, you can follow the following measures to help with constipation:
-Eat fiber-rich food like wheat, XXXXXXX oat, fruits, and vegetables
-Make sure you walk around and exercise to improve bowel movements.
-Drink plenty of water
-Avoid caffeine
-You can continue to use Psyllium-containing laxatives
-You can also take Bisacodyl 10 mg once daily to stimulate bowels

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee