Have burning sensation and redness on penis head. Suggest some effective medication

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Question: FOR OVER 3 TO 4 MONTH'S I HAVE A VERY RED HEAD ON MY PENIS & MY BAG IS DARK RED .IT IS NOT ALL THAT PAIN FULL BUT I HAVE A BURNING SENSATION .
I HAVE TRIED MICATIN & LAMASIL PLUS ONE OTHER WITH NO SUCESS.
PLEASE ADVISE, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Infection affecting the glans persisting for a period of 3 to 4 months usually could be due to fungal etiology. Also a recurrent mild bacterial infection cannot be ruled out. The suspicion sways slightly towards bacterial infection as you mention there is no itching or pain but only burning sensation.

I would like to know some more information on the condition to serve you better.

Do you see any lesions like boils, papules or ulcers associated with the redness?
Do you see any lesion in the foreskin?
Is there any discharge from the penile head?
Are you sexually active?

Waiting for your reply,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later
THESE ARE ANSWER'S TO YOUR QUESTION'S

Do you see any lesions like boils, papules or ulcers associated with the redness? NO
Do you see any lesion in the foreskin? NO
Is there any discharge from the penile head? NO
Are you sexually active? NO SXUAL ACTIVITY SINCE THIS HAPPENED. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for answering my questions.

As there are no active lesions or discharge from the affected site, it nearly rules out all serious bacterial infection. Accordingly what you have might be a fungal infection which is resistant to Miconazole.

You can try NEOSPORIN ointment to the affected part. This ointment contains a broad spectrum preparation with both antifungal and antibacterial action and has been helpful to many of my patients. It does treat well and help you get rid of the infection you have.

As fungal infections are chronic, treatment can be prolonged for few weeks. It may take a few weeks before you see any improvement in your symptoms. However if the symptoms remain unchanged after a week neosporin use, you will need to consult a dermatologist for examination and investigations.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish you good health.