Have bilateral flank pain. Found elevated platelet count and low urine protein. Should I be concerned?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have bilateral flank pain. I had labs ran and I have urine protein 10mg (negative). I also had elevated platelet count of 385. Both my parents have had Kidney Cancer. Just recently diagnosed Celiac Sensitivity. Is this amount of protein anything I should be concerned about?
I have also been feeling extremely tired and weak. I have also had low body temps around 95 to 97 when I am feeling bad. MY TSH is 2.22.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 47 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Bilateral flank pain with family history of cancer needs ultrasound check of the kidneys.
The protein excretion is within normal limits. If worried, you can do what is called 24 hour urine for protein to quantify the same.
The low temperature and weakness points out to reduced thyroid function, as reflected in the TSH value which is in the upper limit of normal. The next step is to do serum thyroxine levels (T4- TOTAL AND FREE), which will decide if you need thyroxine replacement.
Hope this helps. Kindly do write back for doubts if any.
Best regards
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
I received the rest of my urinalysis labs.
color: yellow
characher: cloudy
specific gravity ua 1.02
ph urine 5.5
gluico, ketone, leukocytes, and nitrite all negative
urobilignogen 2.0
wbc urine micro 1, rcb urine micro 1, bacteria trace,
squamos epilthelial 12/hpf, mucus trace, hylaine cast <1,
protein 10mg/dl.

What is squamos epilethial? Is This outside of range?
My new tsh is 1.51
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 11 hours later
Welcome back.
The squamous epithelial cells mean contamination from the skin flora or the outer urethra. So, i am not worried.
TSH is lower than the previous value. Still, it is worthwhile getting a clinical and lab thyroid profile check as you have clinical symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Hope i have helped you. Wish u well.
Best regards
DR GS