Have PCOD. Feeling uncomfortable after stopping ginette 35. Brain MRI normal. Should I consult physiatrist?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, my wife is 22 years old and she has PCOD. the Gyncologist suggested to take ginetti35 and on the second day itself she felt very uncomfirt. her Blood pressure was low (around 90/60) and then my family doctor has given her some treatment and her BP is quite normal now (100/70). HER WEIGHT IS AROUND 45 but now it's almost 4th day when she has stopped taking ginetti 35 but she is still suffering from uncomfirtness especailly in early morning. Doctor suggested a MRI of brain but it is also normal. She felt like she can't stand and walk and there is no energy in her body. Almost all reports are normal and all doctors to whom we have consulted are suggesting to contact Phycatrics. could youplease help
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Within two days of taking the medicine - Ginette - which is a hormone containing pill, it is not normal to experience such severe discomfort and hypotension. These pills in fact slightly increase the blood pressure, with longterm use. Also, even after discontinuing the drug, she still has the same problems, so it is obviously not related to the drugs. Also, as long as she is otherwise healthy, the blood pressure is nothing to worry about, it could be her baseline blood pressure.

You have not mentioned her height, so I hope she is not underweight and undernourished. That could be a cause of low blood pressure and feeling tired and devoid of energy.

Another cause could be anemia. Thyroid hormone imbalance also causes such problems. Mild infections such as hepatitis could lead to such extreme fatigue and lethargy.

PCOD is often associated with vitamin D deficiency. Please supplement vitamin D alongwith the calcium.

Please attach all the reports already done so far if possible, so that I can suggest any other further investigations.

The treating doctors are right, if no organic disease or cause can be found for her condition, she could be depressed or suffering from anxiety or some nervous disorder which often causes such psycho somatic ( mental illness reflecting on the body systems ) symptoms like discomfort, tiredness etc. A psychiatric evaluation would definitely help here.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your reply. As suggested today I have taken her to psychiatric and she told that she has a mild problem but doesn't required a medicne at this moment if she change her thinking and life style. Infact today she felt much better but again today her mensrtual cycle started and this time it has came after 10 days only and now we have no other option but to again go to the gynecologist and now she has suggested the below tablets for replcaement of ginetti35
1. pyridoxine Sustained release
2. Primosa 1000
and suggested to start it from today for 20 consecutive days. is it recomanded to take this medicine in such a condition. does it has any side effects ? However today she is feeling much better. I am not sure how it will effect when she start taking this medicine .
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hello
Its nice to hear from you again.

It is good that she doesnt need medications, and just lifestyle and behavioural change would help her. Even plain talking to a good psychiatrist and going through counselling sessions is of immense help. Ask her to take up relaxation cum exercise activities like yoga , meditation etc. Better still if both of you do it as a couple activity. It will help her tremendously and her mental outlook.

She had this abnormal period because she took Ginette for some days irregularly. It is a hormone containing pill and then stopped it suddenly, so do not worry about the bleeding.

Since you have visited your gynecologist, it is good and the medicines she suggested would only improve her mood and general strength and vitality. There is no problem in starting them, or side effects that she should worry about. However if you feel that she is better, and it is safer to avoid any drugs which could affect her psychologically, then there is no harm in avoiding these medicines also, since they are supplements only.

Take care and am open to further discussions.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 50 minutes later
Thanks once again

The problem of irregular periods has not started after taking ginetti-35 infact she has a period 3 times in a month and then doctors suggested to taken ginetti35 and after this all his problem has occured. Also the problem of irregular period has started immedeatly after removing the copperty which was there for almost a year Now she is ok but today it's 4th time her period has came in last 40 days so we have no other choice but to start the treatment. So i need your advice if it's ok to start pyridoxin and primosa 1000 becasue these frequent periods has to be topped. will this help her to stop iregular periods. since we have already seen the side effects of ginetti35 so we couldn't go with it again .
Te cause of irregular periods is PCOD, and taking any medicine like Ginette and then stopping it because of side effects, will only further cause irregular periods.
I hope your gynaecologist has thoroughly investigated her for PCOD and any other causes of irregular cycles.
Pyridoxine and Primosa are safe to take, but they are not treatments for PCOD.
Pills like Ginette, and drugs like Metformin help to control PCOD, but unfortunately she has had adverse reaction to Ginette.
Metformin can be started if your gynaecologist also advices , but once her condition has stabilised after a month or two.
Weight loss, am active , fit lifestyle and stress busters are mainstay of treatment for PCOD.