Got positive pregnancy test but started spotting. Am I miscarrying?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: hi my last period was 19th december 2012 and last saturday i took a pregnancy test that was 12.5mlu and it came up possitive and on sunday,monday on wiping there was blood,nothing tuesday and today it happened again.used a tesco pregnancy test and you can just see a very faint possitive,am i losing it?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

You are almost 4 weeks pregnant according to your dates. But the measurement of Beta-HCG level (12.5 mIU/ml) is low when we correspond it to the gestational age. Slight spotting or mild bleeding is normal and it does not cause a harmful effect to on growing embryo or fetus. In your case, it suggests early implantation bleeding or sign of miscarriage as you had two miscarriages in past. So this is a high risk pregnancy. However, it does not mean that another miscarriage is inevitable

Early pregnancy test may give faint positive result on strip test. It is better to do a Ultrasonography (USG) for lower abdomen or Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) at the earliest to make sure the baby is viable. TVS is superior in this case.

Also,you may need to undergo some other investigation like Thyroid profile, Blood sugar (PPBS),Blood Progesterone,TORCH profile,Test for Chromosomal abnormality (as your little girl passed away with XXXXXXX syndrome -Trisomy 18) and test for Anti Phospholipid Syndrome etc to rule out underlying pathology for successive miscarriage in past.

You may need some treatment by means of Micronised Progesterone Tablet or Depot injection combined with Tranexamic acid to prevent miscarriage and support pregnancy. But these treatment protocol is not always 100% effective.

Please consult with your gynecologist and take suggestive measures with proper medication according to your test result.

Also do following things to prevent miscarriage:
1)Complete Bed Rest with foot end elevation by pillow preferably
2)Continue Folic acid supplements and Protein XXXXXXX diet.
3)Avoid long journeys/heavy work/stepping on uneven surfaces/high heel shoes.
4)Avoid stress & maintain personal hygiene.
5)Drink more water and eat leafy vegetables/ fruits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
hi,i have an underactive thyroid which is stable,the depot injection was given to me 6 weeks after giving birth,never again i bleed on and off the whole time,and pretty much the same after,so have all the test done for hormones and ultra sound it check nothing untoward,all results normal,i was also told i was ovulating,started spotting every day from 5th december and on the 19th it flowed till 26th,spotted on 29th then nothing,sorry but i think we miss understood each other(beta-hcg level 12.5mlu/ml)i meant the test i used could measure from 12.5mlu.im taking 5mg of folic acid and my husband and i are taking pregnacare conception,when should i get a definite test result for pregnancy instead of faint.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hi
Thanks for writing back.
Actually around the time of the first missed period (14 days after ovulation), over 95% of Home Pregnancy Tests are usually positive. Best result (95-99%) is achieved after 7 days of missed period.
But in your case, here I suggest only one thing:
Do a Ultrasonography (USG) for lower abdomen or Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) at the earliest for assessment of the gestational sac and viability of the fetus instead of waiting for positive pregnancy test.
Beta HCG level at 12.5 mIU/ml indicates a doubtful pregnancy or miscarriage.
Please follow the above said precautionary measures and consult with your nearest gynecologist for further management.
let me know if you have more questions.