What causes pain in the left breast area?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I’ve had a month of upper left rib pain, right near the left breast area. Had ultra sound chest X-ray, both normal, but spleen a bit enlarged 13.2. GP thinks muscular skeletal. I still have pain, not as intense as before. He doesn’t think ct is necessary now. Should I push for other tests, what could be causing this pain? By the way, I’m a male.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Initially rule out cardiac involvement.Mild spleenomegaly as such has no significance.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have seen your details and i appreciate your concerns.
See a 42 years old patient presenting with left sided thoracic off and on pain involving area around left breast. First thing which comes to mind is that it can be cardiac.A pain if is involving thorax and especially left side then we have to rule out possibilities of angina.
Three are three basic probabilities-
1)Heart-Highest risk
2)Gastric-Moderate risk for patient
3)Musculoskeletal involvement-Minimum risk

Initially i would suggest you to go for few basic tests of cardiology
E.K.G
2dEcho
Both of them are highly sensitive to rule out cardiac involvement.
Once cleared from cardiology i would suggest you to take mild anti inflammatory like tylenol(otc) for 2-3 days. Most of the times musculo-skeletal pain usually responds to anti inflammatory.As Xray is normal it can't be bone its a soft tissue injury(would respond very well to anti inflammatory).
If not relieved then i would suggest you to go for a ultra sound abdomen and CT of thorax.
Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes pain in the left breast area? 6 hours later
This is what the ultra sound report indicated:

The heart, pulmonary vessels and the mediastinum appear normal.
The lungs are clear with no pneumothorax or pleural fluid.
Impression:
Normal chest

Would heart be clear then?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again my dear patient.So you are cleared from cardiac side.
Now we have two options
1) Get for a CT scan.Soft tossue injuries would be reflected in it.
2)If your gp is reluctant about goving you a prescription take a potent anti inflammatory like ibuprofen 400 mg twicecdaily for 3 dats if pain responds to it then its musculoskeletal and going for a ct would becadvisable after that.
Follow up after 3 days!

Don’t panic i just need 3 days.
Regards!