Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What are the tests to assess TIA while experiencing partial vision loss?

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3083 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room??
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXX,

When you go to the ER, they will do a quick assessment (vitals) and an eye exam. If they think there is the possibility of a TIA or stroke, they will do a brain CT scan. If it is a university hospital, someone from the ophthalmology team or neurology team will also come and assess you (resident doctors) who will communicate with their attending doctors (an opthalmologist or neurologist). If it is a community hospital, an ER physician will evaluate the emergency aspects of what is going on and then may refer you to someone as an outpatient. If it is a stroke that is evolving, they may recommend hospitalization until you can be assessed by a neurologist.

Not all visual loss is related to a TIA or stroke. But you should be assessed now.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
No further questions - your answer was exactly what I wanted - THANK YOU!! And - thanks for answering so quickly! XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
your welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome XXXXXXX and I hope you have gone in to be evaluated.

Wishing you a quick recovery,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.