What are the tests to assess TIA while experiencing partial vision loss?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room??
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXX,

When you go to the ER, they will do a quick assessment (vitals) and an eye exam. If they think there is the possibility of a TIA or stroke, they will do a brain CT scan. If it is a university hospital, someone from the ophthalmology team or neurology team will also come and assess you (resident doctors) who will communicate with their attending doctors (an opthalmologist or neurologist). If it is a community hospital, an ER physician will evaluate the emergency aspects of what is going on and then may refer you to someone as an outpatient. If it is a stroke that is evolving, they may recommend hospitalization until you can be assessed by a neurologist.

Not all visual loss is related to a TIA or stroke. But you should be assessed now.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
No further questions - your answer was exactly what I wanted - THANK YOU!! And - thanks for answering so quickly! XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
your welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome XXXXXXX and I hope you have gone in to be evaluated.

Wishing you a quick recovery,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD