Feeling tired, have sore breast and getting brown discharge. What is going on?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I've been having sore breast, tired, had brownish discharge at times from the 18-20. cramps mainly on my right abdomen, no appetite. My last period was Feb. 26. My expected period is March 26. What's going on with my body?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 45 minutes later
Hello
Thank you for your query.

I can think of many possibilities as to whats going on.
Firstly, if you are sexually active, one always has to consider the possibility of pregnancy.
What you experienced could be an implantation bleed, if you were sexually active without protection.
Rarely, an early pregnancy presents this way.
A failed pregnancy, or an ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ) also has similar manifestations.

If pregnancy is out of the question, there are still other reasons to consider.
It would help to know the pattern of your cycles otherwise, days of flow, cycle length and duration etc.
Sometimes , an altered or scanty and early period is a normal occurrence during the various years that a woman menstruates.
As you mentioned a history of anxiety, probably the medication you might be taking could have such side effects, as they affect the hormonal axis, as could other possible medications you might have consumed or are consuming.
It is possible that your proper periods are yet to occur, and what you experienced was pre menstrual spotting.
That occurs in cases of endometriosis, which can be diagnosed clinically and on an ultrasound of the pelvis done transvaginally.
Cervical polyps, growths or erosions can present this way.
A pelvic infection might cause such symptoms.
Normal pre menstrual symptoms also can sometimes unusually present like this.
Endometrial conditions can cause such a presentation.

Recent stress, hyper anxiety, emotional upheavals, frequent travelling, work stress etc can alter the pattern of your periods.
ALso, thyroid disorders and high prolactin levels are notorious for causing irregular cycles and fatigue and loss of appetite.
AN ovarian cyst on the right side where pain is more, could cause such a picture.

SInce you have quite an extensive list of possibilities, I would advise you to consult a gynecologist.
Please have a thorough XXXXXXX check up, abdominal and vaginal check up, pap smear if required, relevant blood and hormonal tests as required and a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound.

Am sure this would help to arrive at a diagnosis.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Ty. We are trying to get pregnant. I'm not on any meds for anxiety or anything else. I am stressed though. I usually have a 28 day cycle with 4-5 days length. I've always had a negative pap. I took a pregnancy test but it was negative. How long until I can take another pregnancy test? Should I just wait to see if my regular period arrives? I will make an appointment with an ob gyn anyways. I'm just wondering how long until I know for sure if in pregnant or not. Ty
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
You have a 28 day cycle.
your expected period is March 26, right ?
So please wait until at least 30 to 31st March, and if you do not have your regular period by then, then take a pregnancy test.
Am glad you are anyways meeting an OB GYN, so in either scenario, things should be fine.