What causes sharp pain in the left side of the abdomen and vomiting?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My 17 year old daughter has sharp pain on her left side of her abdomen and has thrown up twice. She doesn't have a fever, I'm just curious what this could be; the pain woke her up
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a serious cause as mentioned hence needs urgent diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history about your 17 year old daughter and understood your concerns.
The pain that makes the patient wake up means is severe.
The commonest cause I can think about in 17 year old is one of the following:
Stone in the left ureter that go impacted.
Left twisted ovarian cyst.
Sigmoid volvulus.
and others.
I would advise her the following in such a situation:
Urgent clinical evaluation, Ultrasonography of abdomen and pelvis, X-ray of the abdomen in standing position.
Tests of urine, stool and blood.
These will tell us the exact diagnosis and gives for plan of management as needed.

Are there any other symptoms other than pain and vomiting?
Any referred pain?
Any urinary or bowel symptoms?

Please give feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng