What do pelvic cramps and sudden weight gain indicate?

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I HAVE BEEN HAVING SEVERE CRAMPS/SHARP PAINS IN MY PELVIS
FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS. IT IS SPORADIC BUT VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN IT OCCURS. I CANT PINPOINT ANYTHING THAT I HAVE EATEN OR DONE THAT WOULD CONTRIBUTE TO THE ISSUE. I HAVE ALSO EXPERIENCED A SUDDEN WEIGHT GAIN OF ABOUT 5 POUNDS WITH THE PROBLEM
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Different causes need details to precisely evaluate the issue .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear ,

Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* There are vivid causes for this type of sharp pain in pelvis as intestine colic ,
ureter stone or others .
The differentiation of which requires more detailed inputs to answer the query
completely .

Kindly provide following information

1. Pain - site in pelvis , radiation if anywhere .
2. Details of urinary , bowel movements .
3. Systemic features as vomiting , fever or else .

Awaiting for your details .
Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 33 minutes later
As a followup to your questions:

Bowel and urinary functions are normal.
Pain starts in center of pelvis/lower stomach and radiates to the sides.

There is no fever but I did have vomiting and diarrhea when this started 3 days ago.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Intestine infection more likely .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the details .

* Seems more likely of intestine infection with colicky pain from intestine spasm .

* Guidelines for better recovery

- Drink more liquids as boiled water , lemon juice , coconut water , organic tea ,
coffee , butter milk .
- Prefer soft , vegan diet with avoidance of oily , spicy .
- Intake of PPI ( as omeprazole ) and anti spasmodic medicines ( as dicyclomine )
require prescription with your doctor . But still can wait for further 24 hours if
the sporadic pain does not bother that much .
- Later on if required may require ultrasound examination to rule out any other
possible cause depending upon the recovery .

Wishing you fine recovery .

Welcome for any further assistance .
Regards dear take care .