Do abnormal LFTs indicate liver disease?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: At how much sgpt and sgot levels liver chirosis is
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on a lot of factors not only the SGPT and SGOT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting me at virtual clinic. Your trust in HCM means a lot to me as a Physician.
I have completely reviewed your health query, and can well realize all those concerns. Being your physician, I will take care all of them today and will give extend my expertise to solve the problems.

SGPT and SGOT can also get up in many other cases like acute liver injury or poisoning like a mushroom poisoning. Certain medications like Finasteride can raise levels.

For cirrhosis we have actually to see the liver texture as this is actually the liver tissue injury and healing time and again that causes the replacement of normal tissue with a shrunken fibrosed tissue and due to that the liver enzymes get raised. Also I suggest to go for the Liver Fibrosis Score test that gives a clue. Sometimes Liver biopsy is taken to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I answered all of your queries. Let me know if you have further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you with my expert opinion. Please don't forget to give Five Star rating (if agreed) to help me assist patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up is very necessary regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is a need to change the treatment options. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Always write down my name in start of your questions at this forum & I will be with you in no time).

Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T