Can a blood test identify an UTI?
We are going to see urologist next week.
1) But I am so worried because he has taken so many different antibiotics for past four weeks, is it going to cause some long-term damage to his health?
2) By the way, he had a blood test last Tuesday which shows all clear, no indication of urine infection at all. But three days later (last Friday), our GP said he saw blood trace in his urine meaning infection is still there. How can this be? ?
My husband is 43, non-smoker, and had previous history with urine infection.
UTI can be confirmed after doing urine culture.
Hello Muilau and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i can fully understand your concern.
1. You don't need to worry about him, having taken different antibiotics.
That won't cause damage to his health.
2. Blood test will not reveal anything about urinary infection (UTI).
UTI will be seen on his urine routine and culture test.
If he's had previous UTI,when was it, and what was the cause for it ?
Urinary infection (UTI), is confirmed only after doing urine culture, not by seeing blood trace in urine.
So, he must have urine culture done, before starting any antibiotic.
It's best, if he get's examined by an Urologist.
After giving urine culture sample, he may start T.Ciprofloxacin.
Get the following tests done, so an Urologist can give proper treatment.
1. blood routine, creatinine, RBS, platelets,and LFT.
2. ultrasound scan -KUB,with residual urine.
Drink 10-12 glasses fluids daily.
You may send the reports here, for an expert opinion.
Wishing him good health.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
Thank you very much for your comment. Yes, we are going to see an urologist in London this Friday, and will definitely send you reports for a credible second opinion.
By the way, I googled that Nitrofurantoin can damage one's lung, it got me a bit worried. Although he didn't finish the full course (he stopped yesterday) due to flu-like side effects (sore throat, cough and loss of voice), he did take it for 3.5 days (700mg). So, Doctor, 1) do you think this 700mg can cause long-term damage to his lung? 2) how long will it take for flu-like side effects to disappear?
You commit is greatly appreciated!
No long term effects of NFT(Nitrofurantoin).
My answers were all related to UTI.(urinary infection).
1.NFT (Nitrofurantoin),will not affect the lungs, on a long term basis.
2.If you're consulting a pulmonologist, it's best to check with him,about long term
effects, of NFT, as well as, time for clearance of flu.
Wish you well.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nyquil and blood tests
- Trop t blood test
- Detecting celexa blood test
- Detect spice in a blood test
- Why have blood test after uti
- Occult blood test in newborn
- Uti after intercourse antibiotic taken blood test negative
- Normal blood test while having a uti
- Sintrom blood test
- Suffering from uti diabetic blood tests done advice