Suggest treatment for persistent sore throat despite taking medication

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For the past 3 weeks I have had a very persistent sore throat which at times has made it very difficult to swallow. Lemsips and lozengers ease and alcohol makes it worse. Sleeping can be disturbed due to being painful to swallow.

The symptoms seem to be worse in the morning when I wake up and in the evenings.

Although lemsips help it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.

Please advise what else I can do.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
The throat infection is probably due to tonsillitis or pharyngitis. You should get a picture clicked of the throat and attach it in the reports section so that I can suggest you better.
The problem is more in the morning due to dryness of the throat.
Use hexidine gargles and tablet vitamin c once daily.
Also tell me what medicines have you been taking so far?
Follow up with the required information
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 20 minutes later
Thank you for replying back to me. I’ve taken no medications, only the ones mentioned.

I’ve also sent a picture.

Please let me know if you haven’t received it.

Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen the pictures attached. You are having chronic pharyngitis.
Take tablet amoxyclav 625 twice daily and tablet diclofenac plus serratiopeptidase twice daily
Tablet vitamin c once daily and use hexidine gargles.
Avoid any smoking or spicy foods.
Take all medicines for a week.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D