Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Burning sensation in thighs, private area, blood in urine, heated sensation, bad smell, discomfort

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
hi, i"ve been experiencing burning sensations in both thighs including the private area for almost 3 weeks now. What's bothering me so much is the bad smell that is coming out from it. it's very embarassing because it becomes hot like hell especially when i'm at work sitting down, my whole thighs, butt area and the private part,and the people around me covering their noses as if i really stinks that much. I had urine test/urine culture but the results are all negative though i got trace of blood in my urine, but the doctor said it's ok. I've seen a Gynecologist too, thinking it could be a vaginal problem, but then again the results was clear, no organisms found, no infection. It is so depressing for a woman like me. What could be the cause of this problem? I can't take another day of working because of the reaction i get from my workplace. hope u can help me... I'm 35 yrs old, 50kg, and 5'1" in height. thanks!
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your query.

I am sorry to hear that what you are dealing with here is stressful for you. Let's work on trying to understand this better and consider some solutions. You mention that there is a burning sensation in the thighs and private area. I assume there is no evidence of a rash as well. In the absence of any obvious rash we cannot exclude the possibility of a mild fungal infection.

Fungal infections occur in parts of the skin and body where there is warmth and moisture. This makes the groin, thighs, buttocks and vagina particularly prone to developing these kinds of things. As far as odor - if it is coming from the vagina it could be something like bacterial vaginosis which is an overgrowth of some bacteria in the vagina which can lead to an odor and discharge. If you think this is the case you can consider a course of antibiotic with metronidazole which often treats this quite successfully.

As far as fungal origin for the burning and or odor, I would strongly consider a course of antifungal medication such as fluconazole for 14 days. This will help clear up any fungal infection in the vagina and on the skin as well. Even in the absence of organisms found with sample it is worth a trial in my opinion.

I think also you should purchase a good anti-bacterial skin soap to use on your skin - legs, thighs and around the vagina as well to eliminate the possibility that bacteria on the skin create the odor - especially if you have some moisture which develops in those areas during the day.

Next, I recommend you assess your height and weight. If you think you may be overweight, now is the time to aggressively approach this. Obesity places us at high risk for developing infections of the skin. If you are not exercising at least 4 days per week then you need to sit down and start to develop a plan of daily exercise.

Finally, assess your diet - are there foods perhaps which are triggering some of the smell? Are you eating a diet XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables and low in sugars carbs and fat? If not, I suggest you see a dietician to discuss good foods in light of the issues you have been having.

I know this is stressful for you. Have faith that things will be better in time. I thank you again for your query. Should you have additional concerns regarding this, I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Burning sensation in thighs, private area, blood in urine, heated sensation, bad smell, discomfort 5 hours later
Good morning Doc, with regards to the above query, there are no rashes on the area. I have been given a Fluconazole 150mg capsule to be taken once only by the Gynecologists and i am not sure whether it is available over the counter and can just take without prescription. Regarding bacterial vaginosis, the discharge i'm having sometimes with a smell is watery in appearance. i never smoke, never douche, never had sexual intercourse. But even if i had that discharge, if there is no too much burning sensation on my thighs (though there is still warmth on the private area) the bad smell is also not present. And i'm wondering why the doctors who checked on me find no infection or findings of bacterial vaginosis? I'm using an anti-bacterial soap and an unscented feminine wash. My weight doesn't sound overweight, i am considered a skinny woman, but i admit i gained a little bit of weight from my normal weight of 43-45kg to 50kg, but it's more visible on the thigh part, that means only my thighs become bigger, fatter and my pants become tighter. i suspect it's one of the causes, might have too much compression from tight jeans, but my uniform pants is actually loose cutting. I know i'm not eating right amount of fruits, but i didn't notice the food that i eat triggers the smell. it's more of that burning/boiling-like feeling that causes the bad odour to come out from my body. And it happens almost all the time. I cannot come to work anymore, it's very degrading and depressing, and my company doesn't allow me to take unpaid leave because there are no serious findings yet and a valid reason. I had bloodtest last week but it will take 1-2 weeks for me to know the result. it's too long for me. I don't know which doctor i must see now. Can be a neurologist? cause accdg to my researches through internet, might be a nerve damage. But it's only my own diagnosis, and im not a doctor. i know it's also difficult for u to answer because you only based it on what i have said. Maybe i just want to know how is that odour related to burning sensation.. thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Hello again,

Your problem seems quite challenging and I will do my best to give you some helpful information. I think if we talk about physicians who may be of assistance we might consider the help of a dermatologist, an endocrinologist and yes maybe a neurologist. You are at an ideal type of weight and not overweight at all so I don't think that is playing a role.

I am glad to hear you have some blood tests done and perhaps they will give us some answers. It is remotely possible that this is a herpes related outbreak without rash. Sometimes treatment with acyclovir may be of benefit.

I know this is very very hard, frustrating and depressing for you. I am sorry you have to deal with all of this and not have clear answers so far. I would pursue consultation with endocrinologist, dermatologist and neurologist when you are able until you come across someone who can provide an adequate explanation.

Again I appreciate your query and hope I have provided helpful suggestions. I am here for you if you have additional concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor