Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Blood test showed borderline high cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides levels. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
Just had blood work done. Couldn't speak with Dr. A few things out of range:
LDL Direct 132
Cholesterol 233
Triglic... 229
calc LDL Chol 123
(LDl/HDL 1.93)
Everything else in band. Anything to be concerned about here?
51 yr old male
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The total cholesterol at 233 is borderline high, LDL and triglycerides are also borderline high, being a male, LDL/HDL ratio of 1.93 puts you on an average risk for atherosclerosis.
Lifestyle modifications can help you bring your raised cholesterol levels to near normal levels along with medicines.
To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking.
To decrease the LDL levels-
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber
4.     Increase aerobic exercise
Finally it is best to consult your doctor to help you in choosing the best cholesterol lowering agent.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Blood test showed borderline high cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides levels. Should I be concerned? 19 hours later
What about the SGOT?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you have no symptoms and the levels are not more than three times the baseline values, it is considered normal. This minor rise in SGOT will return to normal with the above mentioned lifestyle changes and weight reduction.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor