Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What treatment should I take for social anxiety disorder ?

Hi, I am female and 26. I dont have a job because I ve had social anxiety disorder since i was very young. I have fear of blushing when around people (and when i blush its very obvious). I have low confidence , low self esteem, and i seem to have negative thoughts about myself like im stupid, im going to make myself look like a fool, im going to fail. Occasionally i feel depressed because i am this way. I ve had two emotional breakdowns when I got really stressed. I m sensitive and i tend to get stressed real easily. People tell me im attractive, but its hard for me to believe this sometimes and accept their compliments. I do have friends, but no close friends. I have a fiance though and hes the only one i can really talk to. A lot of my days i stay home and have low energy, no motivation , and dont accomplish much and feel like im wasting my life away. I force myself to get things done around the house, but when i do i tend to get distracted easily and cant stay on task for too long because i get bored. I do like going out with my fiance/friends and having fun once in awhile, but i wish i could stop being so shy and insecure when doing so. I am very dependent on others. When i do things on my own, my anxiety goes up and i seem to always doubt myself. My parents keep telling me to get a job, but i dont know how to tell them that theres something wrong with me. I ve had jobs before but they never lasted long. My longest job was over 2 years at a grocery store doing stock, but when i had to move, i couldn t wait to quit that job. At my jobs i always felt tense, uncomfortable, shy, and not myself. What can i do to help myself? I dont want my life to be like this. I believe i need medication for my social anxiety, but not sure if i need any other medications for whatever it is that i have. Also, the past month I ve been trying meditation to help with my negative thinking and theres been little progress. I think i need a psychiatrist ...
Asked On : Sat, 10 Mar 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  98
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response
Hello dear friend
I understand how much are struggling to improve your self. your history reveals basically you are a young,attractive and a good hearted person. SO why worry, surely you are going to be normal in few days. try and follow few lines:
stop thinking negative cause it creates lots of negative energy surronding you.
make more good friends who can share all the things with you.
Trust, have confidence on yourself.
dont ever think you are inferior to all,cause nobody is very perfect in this open express your feelings and thoughts when you are out with others.dont hesitate/shy ,this is how you can boost your confidence.
Always say to your self yes, i CAN ,Nothing is impossible.
When ever you speak to someone see that your voice and words are showing your confidence.Specially in your work place.your parents are right.So dont sit at home try keeping yourself engaged in one or other activities and join for a job of your interest where you would love to work.
Go for early morning walk this refreshes your mood
listen to the music of your choice.
Yes, meditation helps a lot to be cool and improves your concentration and mental continue it.
Always keep smiling and think positive in all the aspects of your life.this helps you to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Try all these for few weeks. I am sure you will be alright and going to become a very smart lady in future.
If these dont workout then you can consult a psychiatrist for opinion.
Take care. Hope i have tried to give solution to your problem.

Answered: Thu, 29 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. The symptoms you mentioned point towards social anxiety disorder. Management for social anxiety disorder includes:
1. Anti-anxiety medication including SSRIs
2. Psychotherapy techniques including exposure and response prevention; cognitive behavioural therapy
I would suggest you consult a psychiatrist to rule out other anxiety disorders and start on appropriate management. I also suspect there might be a comorbid depressive disorder which needs to be managed concurrently with antidepressants and psychotherapy/ talk therapy. You can also try yoga, breathing relaxation exercises and meditation. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sivaraman's  Response
Hai, do not get worry. your scenerio looks like you have Social Anxiety disorder and comorbid depression. Consult your nearest psychiatrist. you may require to start on anti anxiety drugs as well as regular counselling/ cognitive behavioural therapy. you may feel much better wit these.
Answered: Wed, 4 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor