What causes nail discoloration after taking Inderal?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Hello doctor,

I have been recently diagnosed with very frequent premature ventricular ectopics. I have been asked to take Inderal 10mg as required by the cardiologist. I am facing some issues and have some questions with regard to this medication:

1. When I recently took 10mg full dose - I noticed that my fingertips under the nails turned blue in color. Finger color was OK - only blue under nails. No other signs of problems except feeling more tired than usual. Is this normal side effect or should I stop the medication?

2. Is it safe to exercise while on this medication?

Also - I take Restyl (Alprazolam) on need basis for anxiety. Does this medication directly affect the heart - is it safe to exercise while taking this medication?

Please advise. Thanks.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain as follows:

1- The fact that your nails turned blue in color seems to be caused by Raynauds phenomenon, which is a possible adverse effect of betablockers, including Inderal.
So, it may be needed a reduce in the dose of Inderal or even stopping it, if you will continue to experience this effect.

2- Inderal, as other betablockers may reduce your physical performance. So, it is safe to exercise while on this medication, but you may feel tired more quickly now that you are taking the drug.

3- Regarding Restyl, it has no interactions with Inderal. So, it is safe to take both these drugs concomitantly.

Anyway, I would not recommend taking Restyl regularly for a long time, because it can cause addiction and tolerance. It is safe to take it occasionally, during panic attacks.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal, whenever you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What causes nail discoloration after taking Inderal? 3 hours later
Thanks for your prompt reply. Just one more follow up question - is it safe to exercise while taking Restyl. I believe this drug is also a muscle relaxant and am curious to know if it also reduces exercise tolerance. Please advise.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

You are right to say that it is a musculo-relaxant. But, its main action is to reduce anxiety, with a really low effect on the physical performance.

So, it is safe to take it while exercising. Anyway, you may take half a tablet (0.25mg) the day that you are going to exercise.

But, as I explained to you above, this drug should be just for a short time, because the chronic use can aggravate your situation, by causing addiction and withdrawal syndrome.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me again!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What causes nail discoloration after taking Inderal? 9 hours later
Thank you very much for the information doctor.

One final question - is the Raynaud phenomenon dangerous? Can I continue to take Inderal in a lower dosage (maybe 5mg - half tablet)?

The reason I am asking it that I really depend on it for relief from specific social anxiety. I see more relief for that reason than I do for actual PVC of of the heart.

I just need to know if this a side effect that is not serious and not have any long term consequences.

Also - I currently take Inderal and Xanax only on need basis. The maximum dose that I consume is around 10mg Inderal/0.5mg Xanax around 1 to 3 times a week. Never more than that.

Please help. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Raynaud Syndrome is not a serious medical condition, if it lasts for a short period of time. It is also triggered by cold weather.

Anyway, if you continue to experience this adverse effect, I would not encourage you to continue taking Inderal.

In such case, it would be better consider other treatment options (psychotherapy, Yoga, an antidepressant) to help manage your social anxiety.

Regarding Xanax, it is OK to take it occasionally, but it is not a good solution.

The chronic management of social anxiety (like above mentioned)and the prevention of panic attack would be a better treatment option.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri