What causes disorientation and anxiety with Hashimoto's disease?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: why do I get disoriented feeling with my anxiety? I have anxiety with my Hashimoto's but here lately I don't feel like I'm here at all since I've got off the coladapin. I get really confused don't feel like myself really disoriented at times I can't even leave my house because it just makes it worse I been off the Klonopin for 4 months you would figure I would feel better but I'm not I'm feeling worse I'm also getting aderbal rushes a lot
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a common manifestation of anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for coming again to HealthcareMagic. I am sorry you still aren't feeling well.

Feeling disoriented is a very common symptom with anxiety. That is as anxiety affects concentration and also the associated panic leads to dissociation as a protection mechanism.
It is good to have gone off Klonopin as it is not suitable for long term anxiety treatment (develops dependence and tolerance), should be used only short term, but on the other hand since yours is a seemingly chronic issue you seem not to be taking anything to handle anxiety and as a result suffering all the symptoms of the anxiety disorder, without anything to help you.
You should start antianxiety medication. The first choice medications for long term anxiety treatment are antidepressants, like amitriptyline or SSRIs like escitalopram. In addition it is important to start psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy sessions will enable you to better deal with anxiety attacks.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.