Would extreme panic attacks lead to heart attack or stroke?

Question
hi I had extremely bad panic attacks my blood pressure was always 140 over 89 now it dropped its not gonna lead to a heart attack or a stroke
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern, but while 140/89 is slightly elevated, it won't lead to a heart attack or stroke unless perhaps it continues to be elevated for many many years. We consider a person to have hypertensive urgency if their upper number is 180 or higher, or their lower number is 110 or higher.

However, it is important to get control of your panic attacks as these are miserable to have of course. And they won't help your seizures. I strongly recommend that you discuss dose of Zoloft with a psychiatrist as he/she may want to increase the dose and also possibly add another medication depending on your history.

Lifestyle/behavioral treatments are also important, such as learning to meditate, and cognitive behavioral therapy with a psychologist.

But I can reassure you that your blood pressure won't cause an immediate heart attack or stroke.

Follow-up: Would extreme panic attacks lead to heart attack or stroke? 10 minutes later
you are awesome thank you just been having a lot of symptoms just scary like i havent been talking as much my vision been blurry & been dizzy I guess anxiety does that & i have been having headaches everyday

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
If you are having headaches every day, and they have not been previously evaluated and attributed to your seizure disorder, then you should go in to have them evaluated. Anxiety and stress can cause muscle tension headaches (tightening muscles around the skull and neck can result in tension headaches) and stress can trigger migraines too if you have had migraines in the past. But if the type and cause of your headaches has not been determined, then do go in to be seen.

Anxiety doesn't usually cause blurred vision. Dizziness is not specific as it can be associated with many things - including anxiety.

So - do go in for the headaches and blurred vision.

Follow-up: Would extreme panic attacks lead to heart attack or stroke? 19 minutes later
cause my hand has been falling asleep too & shaking then it leads to my upper lip & cheek then it goes back to my hand falling asleep & shaking. but when i sit still my head shakes & body i hope i will be okay what causes blurry vision

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
There are many things that can cause blurred vision, but if these symptoms are new to you, then go in to be seen. If the blurred vision just started recently, go in to an ER.

Follow-up: Would extreme panic attacks lead to heart attack or stroke? 6 minutes later
please let me know its not a stroke or anything

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Without being able to do a neurological exam or know a more detailed medical history, I can't say what it is. If the symptoms are new, and have not been evaluated or diagnosed previously, then you do need to go in now to be seen by a doctor.