Suggest treatment for fibromyalgia

Question
What are the current treatments for fibromyalgia? I am taking lyrica and tramadol
Mon, 21 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment on right lines but increase in pain threshold would help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me mention that fibromyalgia is a symptom and not a disease. In technical language it means algia=pain of fibro (fibrous) and myo (muscular) tissue. The underlying cause therefore needs to be looked into. Management is symptomatic and supportive.

Let me tell you that the body and mind are inter-related. Physical complaints therefore yield an unrest of the mind and vice versa. Pain sensation can be subjective and does not always have a physical or organic cause. That does not mean that the complaint or discomfort is unreal or does not exist. Nevertheless, dealing with such problems needs training of the mind and not merely treating for the physical ailment. You might know that the pain threshold of army men are much higher than that of a common man and this is achieved through training the mind. You too would need to train your mind to ignore the itchiness and crawling sensation that you experience. You need to visit a psychologist who would be able to administer psychotherapy which could ease you of your problems.

The medicines are already on the proper lines and should help.

Let me know if I could help further.