What could be the reason of having unusual phlegm, gained weight & low energy ?

I have been coughing up phlegm that is different from the usual post-cold viscous, clear phlegm. It seems to come up in clear or slightly white segments of about a quarter inch long. The segments sort of have a bubble at one end. I don t usually get allergies but spring is here. I am a casual smoker, and I have a dog. I have also experienced recent weight gain & low energy despite thyroid levels which showed to my surprise too high a TSH & required me to lower my levothroid. I m worried it may be a parasite- but perhaps just from smoking a bit more than usual...
Tue, 17 May 2011