Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Upper back and chest pain. Hard time breathing and sleeping. No anemia or cholesterol. What is wrong?

hi Robert. my girlfriends father is suffering from upper back or upper chest pain , because of this he has been having a hard time sleeping, and breathing , also he has lost weight recently, and when they took him to the hospital the only thing that was found is that he has very low Hemoglobin , and the doctors cant find anything else, they are still doing tests and we are waiting to hear back, so i thought i might look this up also He is 50 years old, and usually very healthy, doesn t have a history with anemia , no cholesterol , no other diseases in the past. Do you have a clue what this might be?
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response

As you have mentioned that the patient has low haemoglobin, the above symptoms like breathing problem and chest pain can be due to the same. Haemoglobin is an oxygen carrier, deficiency of which may cause these problems. Body resistance also goes down resulting in infections causing weight loss and general malaise.

I would recommend you to give him Bronchodilators in the form of inhalation puffs to help him to improve his breathing. He must also have iron tablets along with a diet of green leafy vegetables rich in iron.

After the investigations, the doctor might prescribe antibiotics to remove infection as well.

Wish him a speedy recovery.
Answered: Fri, 31 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Ram Choudhary's  Response
Hi Daniel,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
It looks like the elderly gentleman is sick from quite some days because he is having chest pain and breathlessness something serious may be in the chest only.
It can be a tuberculosis, a malignancy or a congestive heart failure.
You should get him examined and helpful investigations would be CBC,ESR,RFT,LFT,Chest Xray, ECHO, ECG and an ultrasound abdomen.
Please get these investigations and if you like, inform me in a Fresh Query / Follow up Query for further fine tuned opinion
I wish him a great health!
Answered: Fri, 31 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor