What causes temporary unconsciousness, blood clots in vomitus, pale skin and excessive sweating?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in General Health
Question: A co-worker was fine one minute..then suddenly said she didn't feel well. Moments later, she passed out for a minute or two. We shook her awake and she simultaneously vomited blood clots and spoiled her pants. She turned completely white - almost gray in color and started sweating profusely. She appeared disoriented and nauseated - but was lucid enough to speak with paramedics when they arrived. Her blood pressure was very low. The entire office is wondering what this could possibly be?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to systemic infection or liver disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your colleague had been through.

Based on the history you have shared, the loss of consciousness can be due to multiple causes which are mostly due to nervous system involvement or systemic infections as well as metabolic derangements however when she woke up and spitted blood, and incontinence along with confusion raise suspicion of internal bleeding either from stomach ulcer or due to liver disease like cirrhosis.

But incontinence, passing out, and post tactal confusion can be due to epileptic sizure and blood can be due to tongue bite or internal trauma. She can be pale or white due to blood loss or sometimes slow internal gastric bleed may make somebody so lethrgic due to anemia that they can pass out for a while.

She would need baselines workup like complete blood picture to look for hemoglobin and white cells alomgwith platelets count to rule out any bleeding diathesis and lost blood and fluids will have to be replaced with blood and other infusions.

Metabolic derangements will also be correcred once diagnosed via electrolytes level and blood gases etc. Liver functions and Ultrasound abdomen will also be needed.

CT brain to look for any brain lesion and EEG will also be done.

Hope she recovers quickly. Hope this has answered your query.If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana