Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Small bumps on vaginal region, hyperkeratosis. STD blood test done. Can hyperkeratosis lead to cancer?

Good afternoon doctor, I m a 27 year old XXXXX female who just recently went to get a GYN check up. However, my doctor discovered several small bumps around the external vaginal region and she said it maybe hpv , but there was no history of abnormal pap smear test. She told me that it can be hyperkeratosis because there are no signs of itching, bleeding or irritation in that area. My doctor also told me check myself once a month to see if there are any changes. So far everything has been the same and I had a follow up appointment with her and she told me based on my history and most recent STD blood test that I have hyperkeratosis. I just need to know will this effect my health in the future and is it cancerous?
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  85
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Oncologist, Surgical 's  Response
You have not mentioned whether you did get a PAP smear done or not and if it was normal. If not, get one done. If it is normal then all you need to do is regular follow up with your gynecologist. Hyperkeratosis without any atypical features does not increase the risk of having cancer later on. It also does not affect your fertility or libido. However it does need to be kept under observation to look for any atypical changes that might occur.
Answered: Fri, 27 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor