What does my pap smear test report indicate?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 in General Health
Question: I recently had a pap smear that came back ASC H. I had a colposcopy last week with the following results:
Part A: CERVIX, 5:00, BIOPSY:
LOW-GRADE SQUAMOUS INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION (CIN
1). KOILOCYTOSIS CONSISTENT WITH HUMAN
PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV) EFFECT. TRANSFORMATION
ZONE IDENTIFIED. NEGATIVE FOR HIGH GRADE
DYSPLASIA AND MALIGNANCY
Part B: CERVIX, 7:00, BIOPSY:
1). KOILOCYTOSIS CONSISTENT WITH HUMAN
DYSPLASIA AND MALIGNANCY
Part C: CERVIX, 12:00, BIOPSY:
FRAGMENTS OF ENDOCERVICAL GLANDS, SQUAMOUS
MUCOSA, MUCUS AND BLOOD. NEGATIVE FOR
DYSPLASIA, VIRAL EFFECT, AND MALIGNANCY.
Part D: ENDOCERVIX, CURETTINGS:
BENIGN ENDOCERVICAL TISSUE. TRANSFORMATION
ZONE NOT REPRESENTED. NEGATIVE FOR DYSPLASIA,
VIRAL EFFECT, AND MALIGNANCY. PROLIFERATIVE
PHASE ENDOMETRIUM, NEGATIVE FOR HYPERPLASIA
AND/OR MALIGNANCY.
COMMENT: The above findings may account for the atypia seen on the recent pap smear. Continue follow up as clinically indicated.

What is your professional opinion of next steps?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Annual screening is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Your cervix shows a low grade CIN-I lesion. This is a minor cytologic abnormality. It is a premalignant condition of cervix.
Usually no active treatment is needed for such low grade changes. You only need to have cytology and colposcopy every year for further follow up and to see any progression of the lesion.
Excision is considered only if the lesion progresses to CIN-II or colposcopy is unsatisfactory. In your case there is no need to worry.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
The doctor actually has me scheduled for hysterectomy due to my history and the conflict between the PAP and biopsies. What is your opinion on this?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hysterectomy can be avoided for now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You have abnormal PAP smear with grade I CIN. In case the lesion progresses the local excision or hysterectomy needs to be considered. Hysterectomy can be avoided till you are going for regular follow up colposcopy and PAP smear.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj