What could be the cause for painful itchy pink spots around my pubic area?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have some very small pink round dots/marks around pubic area. they are hardly noticeable but they sometimes itch or are slightly painful. can you please let me know what this could be? (see attached photo). thank you
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: cherry angiomas Detailed Answer: Hi You have some de XXXXXXX spots or cherry angiomas in the groin region. I would like to tell you not to worry about these lesions. These are totally harmless collections of blood which tend to develop in certain people. They can develop anywher over the body and are not connected to any sexually transmitted disease. They can be left as such if they do not cause any problem. In most cases, they do not cause any associated itching or pain but if you really feel that they are bothering you too much, then I would advise you to see a dermatologist and get them removed. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 6 minutes later
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I carefully checked what de XXXXXXX spots look like and what I have does not fully look like that. also i have some itching/slight pain there from time to time especially when wearing tighter clothing. Can it be anything else besides de XXXXXXX spots? Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Skin lesions Detailed Answer: Okay That is what I could make out from the picture. Please click another close up picture. Would like to have a closer look. Also please tell since when do you have these lesions. Are they permanent or do they keep changing positions means a new one develops and heals of its own? Do you have generalized itching in the pubic region or is it only over these lesions? Please provide me the above details and we can work out other probable diagnosis. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 18 minutes later
Hi, I have uploaded a photo with the area shaven. I am talking about the red spot in the middle (not the brown birth mark to the left of it). I have had this issue for a while, my pubic area does not constantly itch, only sometimes, especially when I wear tight jeans/underwear they can get itchy or slight pain sometimes. I believe (though I am not fully certain) that these few tiny red spots come and go. Also the itching is more specific to certain areas of the pubic area, not fully generalized. What other things could this potentially be? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Superficial folliculitis Detailed Answer: Hi again On a closer look, what you are having are lesions of superficial folliculitis. These lesions are quite common over the hairy areas of the body and develop due to pulling of the hair follicle which can occur due to tight clothing or itching or scratching of the area. You need to apply a topical antibiotic cream over the affected areas twice a day. Since you have the infection at present, so avoid shaving the area till the time the infection heals completely which is for atleast 10 to 14 days. Wear cotton undergarments so as to reduce sweating and friction. Do not apply any other creams or oils over the region. Also please tell if you have similar lesions over the scrotum or penile region as they need to be treated as well. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 25 hours later
hi i attached another photo which shows the pink spots better for you to examine. could this be an std like hpv or something else ? thank you
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: lesions Detailed Answer: Hi again Hey I have had a look at it again. These are surely not lesions of Hpv infection. Hpv warts are Skin colored raised lesions. They are not red at all. You just seem to have lesions of superficial folliculitis. These do not look like any std. So you should not be worried. Just take the treatment as told and rest assured. Dr Geetika Paul