Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Moderate drinker, have high GGT, advised limarin and udiliv. Are these effective?

My GGT is 158 iu /l . I am a moderate drinker . Rest all parameters are normal. Doctor has advised me to take limarin 70 and udiliv 150 . I am a sailor. What is the normal range for an adult ( I am male/34 yrs old ).Will use of above medicines bring the GGT down to normal level. I hardly used to drink earlier but in last few months , I have drink more often . IS it possible a non - drinker when starts drinking moderately , his GGT can rise. Any advise will be appreciated
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  247
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
The normal range of GGT is 0 to 51 international units per liter (IU/L).
GGT is contained within liver cells. When these cells are damaged, the enzyme leaks into the bloodstream and can be detected with a blood test

High GGT levels are associated with liver diseases such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver tumors, and jaundice, myocardial infarction, heavy or chronic alcohol use, pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis etc.

The best treatment to tackle high levels of GGT is to totally abstain from alcohol.
The role of the medicines advised to you is controversial and moreover no medicine shall work if you keep on consuming alcohol.
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor