Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Missed periods, night sweats, pain in lower back, stomach, nausea. Cause of worry?

Hi, i have missed one period, this is abnormal for me. I have been having drenching night sweats resulting in having to change my night-wear, bedclothes etc.I have pain/discomfort lower stomach/lower back. Feeling tired, and have nausea . Completely missed my period but still have pain/ bloating but nothing. Could this be serious? I am 48 yrs old. Thank you.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  226
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Good Evening,

According to your description you seems in perimenopause stage i.e. menopause transition years.

Menopause literally means the "end of monthly cycles" and once 12 months have gone by with no menstrual flow at all.

Menopause is an event that typically (but not always) occurs in women in midlife, during their late 40s or early 50s, and it signals the end of the fertile phase of a woman's life.

During perimenopause, estrogen levels average about 20-30% higher than during premenopause, often with wide fluctuations in levels.

These fluctuations cause many of the physical changes during perimenopause as well as menopause.

Some of these changes are hot flashes, night sweats, difficulty sleeping, vaginal dryness or atrophy, incontinence, osteoporosis, and heart disease.

During this period, fertility diminishes, but is not considered to reach zero until the official date of menopause.

The official date is determined retroactively, once 12 months have passed after the last appearance of menstrual blood.

However, rather than being defined by the state of the uterus and the absence of menstrual flow, menopause is more accurately defined as the permanent cessation of the primary functions of the ovaries.

So you are going towards menopause, should have patience and get in touch with your gynecologist for symptomatic treatment.


Dr. Naresh Jain
Answered: Tue, 30 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor