Are vaginal bleeding and breast pain causes for concern in a 59 year old?

Question
Hi, I am 59 years old, still having vaginal bleeding and have had severe pain in my right breast for over a week. I don't have insurance so the thought of seeing a doctor or having test run is next to impossible. Is it anything to be worried about
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it depends, please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question,

Both of these could be serious or may not.

Breast cancer is usually not painful but it still would be good if you could get a mammogram to be sure. Check with your local health department or community health center to see if they have a source for getting free mammograms.

The bleeding would be very concerning if you have been in menopause, meaning if you have not had a period in more than a year. If this is the case then it is very concerning for uterine malignancy and you really need to see a doctor.

You may also search the website for a community health center near you in XXXXXXX and call them and see what services are available. Community health centers get federal funds to care for the uninsured.

Best wishes,
Dr. Robinson