Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for recurring vaginal yeast infections

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2840 Questions
I have recurring yeast infection. How do I know it's a yeast infection? I feel a need to go to the bathroom frequently. Sometime it burns. No didcharge and Monostat seems to take care of it but I don't like to take that frequently.
it's probably connected to have sex. Don't know why it didn't come up for months but now it seems to easy to reoccure.
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

What you are describing may be recurring vaginal yeast infections, but it's possible that it is from urethritis from irritation of having intercourse plus bacteria and yeast being driven into the urethra in the process.

If Monistat definitely takes care of the problem, at least temporarily, then it is likely that there is yeast involved. If you are not sure, then best to go in where your doctor can take a swab and check.

But there are things you can do about it either way:

1. After menopause, estrogen levels go down. This has a few affects on the urogenital tissues. Estrogen keeps the vagina acidic. Yeast like a non-acidic (alkaline) environment. The presence of semen creates an even further alkaline environment. In addition, estrogen keeps the tissues (both urethra and vagina) more robust and less prone to vaginal infections and bladder infections. So, you may want to talk with your doctor about topical/intervaginal estrogen. Applying estrogen cream into the vagina at bedtime or a XXXXXXX of it to the outside (depending on what your doctor recommends), can strengthen the tissues while not being absorbed systemically as much as if you were to take it orally.

2. Immediately after having intercourse (I know this isn't romantic), get up and go to the bathroom and urinate. This will help wash out the bacteria and yeast that may get worked into the urethra during intercourse. In addition, gently wash off, with plain soap and water, semen and lubricant.

3. If your infections are confirmed to be yeast, you may need a longer course of anti-yeast treatment. If it still comes back, you may want to consider using boric acid capsules intravaginally.

4. Men can carry yeast on their genitals and if a yeast infection keeps recurring, it would be important for both of your to be treated.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor