Suggest treatment for recurring vaginal yeast infections
it's probably connected to have sex. Don't know why it didn't come up for months but now it seems to easy to reoccure.
Hello and welcome,
What you are describing may be recurring vaginal yeast infections, but it's possible that it is from urethritis from irritation of having intercourse plus bacteria and yeast being driven into the urethra in the process.
If Monistat definitely takes care of the problem, at least temporarily, then it is likely that there is yeast involved. If you are not sure, then best to go in where your doctor can take a swab and check.
But there are things you can do about it either way:
1. After menopause, estrogen levels go down. This has a few affects on the urogenital tissues. Estrogen keeps the vagina acidic. Yeast like a non-acidic (alkaline) environment. The presence of semen creates an even further alkaline environment. In addition, estrogen keeps the tissues (both urethra and vagina) more robust and less prone to vaginal infections and bladder infections. So, you may want to talk with your doctor about topical/intervaginal estrogen. Applying estrogen cream into the vagina at bedtime or a XXXXXXX of it to the outside (depending on what your doctor recommends), can strengthen the tissues while not being absorbed systemically as much as if you were to take it orally.
2. Immediately after having intercourse (I know this isn't romantic), get up and go to the bathroom and urinate. This will help wash out the bacteria and yeast that may get worked into the urethra during intercourse. In addition, gently wash off, with plain soap and water, semen and lubricant.
3. If your infections are confirmed to be yeast, you may need a longer course of anti-yeast treatment. If it still comes back, you may want to consider using boric acid capsules intravaginally.
4. Men can carry yeast on their genitals and if a yeast infection keeps recurring, it would be important for both of your to be treated.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is nystop used in the treatment of vaginal yeast infection?
- Is nizoral used in the treatment of vaginal yeast infection?
- Suggest treatment for persistent yeast infection
- Suggest treatment for vaginal yeast infection
- Is mycostatin topical used in the treatment of yeast infection, vaginal ?
- Vaginal yeast infections treatments
- Treatment and cure for vaginal yeast infection
- Treatment and cure for recurring yeast infection
- Pediatric vaginal yeast infection treatment
- Recurring vaginal yeast infection and spotting treatment
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis