Suggest treatment for recurring vaginal yeast infections

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Infections
Question: I have recurring yeast infection. How do I know it's a yeast infection? I feel a need to go to the bathroom frequently. Sometime it burns. No didcharge and Monostat seems to take care of it but I don't like to take that frequently.
it's probably connected to have sex. Don't know why it didn't come up for months but now it seems to easy to reoccure.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

What you are describing may be recurring vaginal yeast infections, but it's possible that it is from urethritis from irritation of having intercourse plus bacteria and yeast being driven into the urethra in the process.

If Monistat definitely takes care of the problem, at least temporarily, then it is likely that there is yeast involved. If you are not sure, then best to go in where your doctor can take a swab and check.

But there are things you can do about it either way:

1. After menopause, estrogen levels go down. This has a few affects on the urogenital tissues. Estrogen keeps the vagina acidic. Yeast like a non-acidic (alkaline) environment. The presence of semen creates an even further alkaline environment. In addition, estrogen keeps the tissues (both urethra and vagina) more robust and less prone to vaginal infections and bladder infections. So, you may want to talk with your doctor about topical/intervaginal estrogen. Applying estrogen cream into the vagina at bedtime or a XXXXXXX of it to the outside (depending on what your doctor recommends), can strengthen the tissues while not being absorbed systemically as much as if you were to take it orally.

2. Immediately after having intercourse (I know this isn't romantic), get up and go to the bathroom and urinate. This will help wash out the bacteria and yeast that may get worked into the urethra during intercourse. In addition, gently wash off, with plain soap and water, semen and lubricant.

3. If your infections are confirmed to be yeast, you may need a longer course of anti-yeast treatment. If it still comes back, you may want to consider using boric acid capsules intravaginally.

4. Men can carry yeast on their genitals and if a yeast infection keeps recurring, it would be important for both of your to be treated.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.