Suggest treatment for persistent yeast infections

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a persistent yeast infection using fluconasole only takes it away for a day or two at the most. Sounds like nothing but is very uncomfortable. It was triggered when I was required to take 4 amoxicillin before a dental procedure after a knee replacement in March this year the dental procedure was done in October and have had it since then.
I believe it is called candida, what is my best way to proceed. Stop eating anything with yeast?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral fluconazole is needed in this case.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The things you eat not necessarily will have a huge effect on it but having yogurt that is thought to reduce yeast infections.

I understand that it can be so uncomfortable even though it does not seem to be dangerous it can really affect the quality of life.

If you have tried local treatment several times and it goes on to come back then it might be needed to have oral fluconazole. Oral fluconazole is recommended if you get 3 or more yeast infections in a year and by what you say you sound to have had much more. First can be tried a 3-day course with a dose a day and if you see that it still comes back after a while than regular use of oral fluconazole once a week can be considered and is highly effective.

You will need to talk with your doctor on oral fluconazole as it is not over the counter drug and you will need a prescription.

On the other hand, people that have frequent yeast infection need to rule out diabetes as it favors this so please have a check of your sugar levels if you have not done one in the last year.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact me in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 4278 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Amoxicillin

doctor1 MD

hi Dr. Im asthmatic and 5 days ago i got too much pain in my chest when i cough... 1st Dr. prescribed Amoxillin 500mg ... no changes... 2nd Dr....

doctor1 MD

Hi! My daughter s been prescribed a 5ml does of amoxicillin, and I gave her some. I left for a little while, and my son forgot and gave her another...

doctor1 MD

I m pregnant have upper respiratory infection Dr. prescribed Amoxicillin 500 and i had missed dose supposed to take three times a day woke up at...

doctor1 MD

I have done a tonsileectomy after suffering from tonsilitis for 25 yrs . Then I am facing problems of acute pharyngitis. I am taking medicines like...

doctor1 MD

Can you take amoxicillin and Valtrex for shingles at the same time. I have a sinus infection and my shingles has returned. YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

For the past week I had lot of itching near my butt, after few days the skin became very thick. Currently itching has reduced, but I can feel the...

doctor1 MD

I have strep throat . I started amoxicillin yesterday, but it seems the swelling in my throat is worse. Is this to be expected? How soon should the...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

181 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction