Suggest treatment for persistent yeast infections

Dr. Zotaj Antoneta

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a persistent yeast infection using fluconasole only takes it away for a day or two at the most. Sounds like nothing but is very uncomfortable. It was triggered when I was required to take 4 amoxicillin before a dental procedure after a knee replacement in March this year the dental procedure was done in October and have had it since then.
I believe it is called candida, what is my best way to proceed. Stop eating anything with yeast?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral fluconazole is needed in this case.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The things you eat not necessarily will have a huge effect on it but having yogurt that is thought to reduce yeast infections.

I understand that it can be so uncomfortable even though it does not seem to be dangerous it can really affect the quality of life.

If you have tried local treatment several times and it goes on to come back then it might be needed to have oral fluconazole. Oral fluconazole is recommended if you get 3 or more yeast infections in a year and by what you say you sound to have had much more. First can be tried a 3-day course with a dose a day and if you see that it still comes back after a while than regular use of oral fluconazole once a week can be considered and is highly effective.

You will need to talk with your doctor on oral fluconazole as it is not over the counter drug and you will need a prescription.

On the other hand, people that have frequent yeast infection need to rule out diabetes as it favors this so please have a check of your sugar levels if you have not done one in the last year.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact me in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee