What causes frequent urination?
I'd like to know what this could be if anything dangerous or to be concerned of.
Increased urination can be from poorly controlled sugars in diabetes. It causes the body to become dehydrated because sugar pours into the urine and that draws water along with it. So a person drinks more (increased thirst) and urinates more.
It can also be from caffeine or other substances, including alcohol, which cause increased urination.
And sometimes people end up drinking more fluids without realizing it.
In addition, if there is an infection, that can cause the urge to go more often, but you would only be urinating small amounts. Bacteria in the bladder or prostate cause irritation that causes the urge to go more often. But you didn't describe an increased sense of urgency or pain with urination so those would be lower on the list. There are other more rare causes of diuresis but as you are feeling well they would be lower on the list.
I don't expect anything severe is going on that you need to be seen for tonight if you are otherwise feeling ok. But I do advise, if you are still having the problem tomorrow, that you get checked.
A doctor would do an exam and collect a urine specimen. In the office or urgent care clinic a dipstick urine test can give information such as if there is sugar in the urine and the possibility of bacteria. It can then be sent to a lab for a full urinalysis. If the doctor suspects blood sugar problems, then blood tests would be indicated.
So if this is something that just started tonight, I wouldn't worry about it - but if it is still going on tomorrow, then do get seen.
No, you would not necessarily crave sugar but you would be very hungry.
People can feel more fatigued, and are very thirsty. Because of the dehydration, a person's mouth can feel dry. And they may have blurry vision. Cuts don't heal as quickly and there are more risks of yeast infections of the skin.
With Type I diabetes, there can be unexpected weight loss because the body isn't able to bring glucose into the cells where it is needed for energy. When the problem becomes more severe, there can be nausea, vomiting, and a sort of fruity (ketone) smelling breath.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the underlying causes for frequent urination
- What causes frequent urination at bedtime
- What is the cause of weakness and frequent urination
- What is the cause for headaches and frequent urination
- What poison causes frequent urination
- What is the cause for pressure that causes frequent urination
- What are the causes of frequent urination at night
- What is the cause and treatment for frequent urination
- What could be the cause of frequent urination
- What are the causes for frequent urination in children
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis