Medicine to treat bad smell in mouth

what is the name of the medicine that is used to cure bad breath in the mouth
Fri, 2 Aug 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Dentist 's  Response
thanks for query
see for the treatment of bad breath we should first make out the underlying cause and then proceed.so let me tell you the causes:-
-poor oral hygeine
-any peridontal diseases
-gerd i.e; reflux disease
-smoking
- alcohol
-other gastric disturbances
-dry mouth
so dear first of all get your complete oral check up done and brush thrice daily .use of mouth washes and mouth freshners can haelp . also consult your general physician
.....
hope it helps

Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Mrunal Meshram's  Response
hello
thank you for writing in hcm
bad breath can be due to many factors
oral factors are carious tooth , infection to tongue , mucosa , dry mouth ,gingivitis (inflammation of gums) , periodontitis (inflammation of tissues surrounding teeth) , accumulation of plaque , calculus etc.
general factors are tonsillitis ,GIT disorder , smoking , alcohol , more consumption of onions, garlic etc
visit your dentist to identify the cause.
maintain good oral hygiene
antiseptic mouth wash rinses 3 times daily.
get scaling , polishing , root planning done of needed
avoid onions , garlic.
drink plenty of water.
if it is due to general factors visit your physician
I hope this will help you
for further query , write us back
take care

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Bad smell is generally due to improper oral hygiene. It can also be the signs of an infection of the stomach or intestines. Improper eating patterns such as eating heavy meals that are high in protein and sugar .
Take plenty of water, herbal drinks,high fiber diet.
The best remedy to get rid of such bad smell is to drink glass of warm water with honey and lemon first thing every morning.
Maintain oral hygiene and use tongue cleaner regularly.
Usage of mouthwash twice daily.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Regards.

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Bad breath is usually caused due to poor oral hygiene maintenance.

Get your teeth cleaned.

Use soft bristled toothbrush as well as dental floss.

Use chlorhexidine mouthrinses to gargle.

If symptoms persists,please do visit an ENT specialist too.

Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Palvi 's  Response
hi...
thanks for the query...
bad breath can be due to oral, ENT or medical problems...
visit your dentist for complete oral examination... sometime, grossly carious tooth is the source of foul smell... in that case it will require restorations...
or due to presence of plaque and calculus... and inflamed gums and deep pockets... in that case it will require proper scaling and root planing...

brushing twice daily with pea sized tooth paste will help... make sure that you brush your teeth AFTER MEALS instead of before meals... rinse after every meal... also use tongue cleaners... tongue may harbor micro organisms on its surface and can be the source of bad breath...

if still persists, consult general physician to rule out any metabolic disease... consult ENT specialist also...

hope it will help you...
take care...

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

First the cause of bad breath should be identified and treated.
Bad breath occurs due to many causes few are poor oral hygiene, plague and calculus deposition, GIT disturbances, alcohol consumption, smoking.

You should go for complete mouth scaling and polishing every 6 months.
Avoid eating of onions, garlic.
Take complete balanced diet. drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated.

Develop a habit of brushing teeth twice daily.
Use dental floss and interdental cleaners.
Use antiseptic mouthwash rinses twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Regards..

Dentist Dr. Juhi Soni's  Response
Hi
Welcome to HCM forum
Bad smell is generally due to improper oral hygiene.
It can also be the signs of an infection of the stomach or intestines.
Improper eating patterns such as eating heavy meals that are high in protein and sugar .
Use mouthwash twice daily.
There is no medicine for bad smell.

Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response

The cause of bad breath has to be identified first. The various causes are Poor oral hygiene, diabetis, gastric problems, liver disorder, smoking, alcohol consumption, consumption of onion and garlic etc. There is no drug specifically for malodor. If it is due to plaque and calculus, it can be dealt with by getting a scaling of your teeth. Flossing should be done once a day. Clening your tongue daily using a tongue scraper is very important. If required a chlorhexidine mouth wash can be used for 3 weeks.
Dentist Dr. K. Ravi Shekar's  Response
Since you have a complaint of bad breath, it is likely that you need to visit your dentist and get your oral hygiene status evaluated. Most probably, if you have bad breath, there will be an underlying condition of gums for which you may need to take treatment viz, Dental cleaning (Oral Prophylaxis). Following this you can take a mouth rinse like Clohex or Nitrahex (Mouth rinses containing Chlorhexidine) with some topical application (Gum paints like Stolin-R or Metrohex gel) to enhance the health of your gums. Plz consult your Dentist prior to taking any action of your own.
Good luck and thanks for being on HealthCare Magic forum.

Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hello,
Dry mouth causes bad breath. When you have dry mouth, especially in the morning, dead cells accumulate in the mouth and decompose causing foul odor.
Local factors like improper oral hygiene (poor brushing habits, irregular eating habits causing repeated food lodgment on the tooth surfaces.

Some other causes of bad breath include:
gerd(reflux disease),diabetes
Tobacco chewing
Smoking
Alcohol
Gum (periodontal) disease
Anemia
tretment includes-
1-Avoid eating foods with refined carbohydrates and sugars like cookies, sweets, cakes, carbonated soft drinks, ice creams
2-Drink sufficient amount of water (6-8 glasses) daily
3-Brush teeth daily especially before going to bed
4-Gargle with salt water to reduce bacteria in the mouth.
5-you can use a mouthwash also
if after all these no improvement consult a dentist