What causes swollen gums and lesions in the mouth after taking Metronidazole?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have swollen gums, ulcers on my tongue, and my lower lip has several canker sores. I have been taking metronidazole for the last 3 days. Is this a side effect of the medicine or something else?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Aphtous ulcer, supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Yes flagyl can cause oral cavity lesions and bad taste. Aphthous ulcer is one of the possible complication. It could be due to gastric discomfort. No matter what, it self resolves, just apply some topical anesthetic and hydrocortisone gel over it for relief and keep good oral hygiene and stay hydrated. It shall resolve in a couple of days.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Khan