What causes dark green coating in tongue with a bad taste?

I have been experiencing a bad taste in my mouth over the last few weeks. i go to the dentist regularly and had my teeth checked and cleaned about two months ago and my teeth are good . I noticed today upon scraping my tongue, there is a very dark green coating towards the back of my tongue. I scraped it twice about 2 hrs apart and it was there twice. There weren t any foods or drinks which correlated. (all I had was a BLT at about 2 hrs prior to the finding, and after brushing my teeth) any idea what this could be? I do have chronic sinusitis? Im thinking maybe sinus infection?
Mon, 10 May 2021

It is very common to have a green tongue after eating or drinking something with green food coloring. But an unexplained green color can be a sign of something underlying etiology. Apart from some other causes of green tongue, an infection or over-growth of certain germs can be also a cause of green coating on tongue. Bacteria or the fungus infection particularly candida albicans can be a cause of green tongue.

Many a times poor oro-dental hygiene may also give opportunity to bacteria or fungus to grow. Also this overgrowth of bacteria or yeasts may also give bad taste to the food. Treatment of the green tongue, is the treatment of disease. Most of the times a course of antibiotic or anti-fungal may be needed. In difficult to treat cases, a gram staining or culture of the scrapping from the tongue is advised & treatment done accordingly.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician