What causes recurrent mouth ulcers?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 63 years old. and have mouth ulcers. I have had them off an on since childhood. I have been told that they are viral, stress can cause them, hormones can cause them, and certain foods. Since they are considered viral, doctors will say let them run their course and I use silver nitrate and magic mouthwash. I have been told by some friends that there are antibiotics that you can take. I would just like a straight answer
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are no antibiotics for this!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your question fully. Oral sores are not caused by bacterial and antibiotics are really not needed for their treatment. Relieving measures to address pain and step up oral hygiene to prevent further infection is what is truly required. Antibiotics will not change the course of this infection and treatment outcome.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.