Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Is a D&C required as I have a fibroid outside my uterus ?

i have a fibroid of 4.5 size outside the uterus. Just diagnosed today as my menstrual bleeding lasted for over 10 days. It was painless & had absolutely no symptoms of any abnormality. Please advise if a D&C is urgent. Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jul 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
There are three common types of fibroids in uterus , subserosal , intramural and in the cavity of uterus which are endometrial polyps.You have mentioned '' outside '' uterus , means they are under serosal layer.These types of fibroids can not be cured by D&C,
they are to be removed surgically by laparoscopy or hysterectomy.As you have not mentioned your age and obstetrical history so i can not tell whether you are going to have myomectomy or hysterectomy.You can start some medicines like progesterone , medoxyprogesterone acetate 10 mgm thrice daily for 10 days and tranexaemic acid 500 mgms twice daily for 5 days till bleeding stops.Do not forget to take iron supplements.GnRh analouges are given to reduce the size of fibroids before surgery.One thing is sure that they are benign tumours but if causing symptoms like pain , infertility or excessive bleeding , then they are to be removed.
Answered: Fri, 8 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor