Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Fell on shoulder. Sharp pain, tenderness. Treatment?

I am in an advanced movement class for theatre. we do acrobatics, tumbling, aerial silks and stationary trapeze. today i was doing a shoulder roll and landed on it funny. it was extremely painful, but i'm not a stranger to small injuries, so i pushed through. all day it would bug me, but now i am trying to sleep and am unable to get even slightly comfortable with the pain persisting. i get sharp pain nearly every time i move it more than an inch. it is tender to the touch on the top near my clavicle especially. I need my shoulder for performing, but don;t want to permanently damage it. in short, what should i do?
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.

Shoulder trauma can cause a diversity of lesions including
acromio-clavicular ligaments rupture, fractures, rupture
of tendons and disclocation as well. trauma to ligaments
and fractures produced severe pains and in cases of fracture
there is associated loss of function.
The best approach to take now will be to a see a doctor for
an evaluation and for an x-ray.
Mean while, you could take pain killers such as paracetamol,
ibuprofen and apply ice regularly.
Avoiding to use the shoulder is important for a while to at least
give some time for healing in case of a ligament tear or others.

Hope this helps you.
Dr Achuo
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.
Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.
In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor