Are bruising and swelling in the collarbone signs of a fracture after injury?

Question
I fell and injured my collarbone, it’s bruised and swollen but I can still move my arm. I’m not sure if it’s broken or a torn ligament possibly, any advice?
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rest, ice, pain medication, sling, physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Even if it is a fracture, most fractured collarbones/clavicle heal without surgery though it would still be important to have imaging ( x ray) done if the pain is very severe.
Some types of fracture would require surgical repair, this is why an xray would be needed.

Treatment of most fraactured collar bone/clavicle involves--(1)a simple sling
(2) pain medication such as naproxen, ibuprofen, cataflam or voltaren
(3)rest of the injured area
(4)may need physiotherapy as well

AS mentioned, in some cases, if a fracture is present, surgery may be needed

It is possible that there is no fracture and only soft tissue injury, in that case- the sling, pain meds, rest and physio would still apply.
Surgery would not be needed for soft tissue injury.

You can continue to ice the area

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Are bruising and swelling in the collarbone signs of a fracture after injury? 18 minutes later
Thanks, There is some slight popping when I move it too much and muscle soreness but the swelling has gone down since the initial injury 3 days ago and I do have more mobility in my shoulder than I did at first. I am wondering if it’s ok for me to continue working as a barista with light duty or should I be in a sling continuously until it’s completely healed?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
if minimal activity

Detailed Answer:
HI

Since there has been improvement with the swelling and mobility then you can do very light duty. It would have to be minimal.

Please feel free to ask anything else