How do fractures occur?
Fractures occur when a breaking force acts on the bone. Depending on the degree of force acting on the bone the fracture can be simple or complicated.
It can also be described as traumatic which is mainly injuries like accidents and fall on outstretched hands while running and the other type is pathological fracture which can render the bone weak due to various diseases such as chronic wearing out (osteoporosis) , cancer of bone like multiple myeloma etc.
What are the signs and symptoms of fractures?
- Severe Pain that increases on movement
- Excess mobility other than joints
- Stiffness and difficulty to move the injured region
What should be done when fractures occur?
- Treatment basically depends on the site of fracture and the extent of damage that has occurred.
- If fracture is suspected then try not to use the broken arm or leg and try getting immediate medical attention.
- This step is in order to prevent further damage to surrounding structures like nerves, blood vessels etc. you can immobilize the arm by placing a firm things such as a scale.
- Wrap it with a soft cloth cushion foe emergency.
What are the risk factors for fracture?
Osteoporosis is one of the most common risk factor.
Special risk for athletes
What are the complications of fracture?
- Joining of fractured ends in asymmetry (mal-union)
- Failure of fractured ends to join (non-union)
- Osteoarthritis and stiffness of joints
- Nerve or blood vessel injury
What are the treatment options for fractures?
- Anti pain medications
What are the preventive measures to avoid fractures?
Strengthening of bones with good calcium rich diet
Prevent unnecessary trauma like falls, know your limits.