Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Brown vaginal discharge, no periods. Switched to a new brand of birth control. Negative pregnancy test. Causes?

I have been on birth control for 2 and half years. I have switched to another brand in the past 6 months or so. The past 3 months I have not had a period but brown discharge along with period symptoms. I have taken a pregnancy test but it showed up negative. I need to know what the most likely thing this could be and if I need to switch perscriptions.
Asked On : Mon, 18 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
if you are on birth control for 2 and half year and having a brown vaginal discharge since last 3 months, it could be some fungal or anaerobic has nothing to do with the change of the brand of birth control should check if your partner is having any infection.consult your gynecologist for possible vaginal swab test and pap smear test to know what this brown discharge is? try flucanozole 150mg weekly for four weeks and a ofloxacin ornidazole combination for 15 days.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
Brown vaginal discharges are abnormal discharges that more often than not are due to an infection. Genital tract infections are a common issue in females which could be sexually transmitted or not and birth control methods are not known to prevent sexually transmitted diseases but for condoms when effectively used.
Amenorrhoe or absence of menses is a common feature with with hormonal contraception. While some women experience irregular bleeding, others rather experience absence of menses. It is quite comforting that your pregnancy test turns out negative as that supports the fact the absence of menses is due to the contraceptive method. If the birth control method you are using is not hormonal, then you need to be seen by a doctor. However, as concerns the brown discharges, a vaginal smear examination should be done for appropriate diagnosis.
best regards and hope this helps.

Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor