Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

A small drop of milk coming out from pressing my breast,what does it mean ?

I am unmarried girl of age 21yrs.when i pressed my breast a small drop of milk coming out.i am so worried about it can plz help me what does it mean
Asked On : Sat, 5 Mar 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  1664
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
hii mam,
I am Dr Soumen Patra and answering your problem.

Your presenting condition is "Galactorrhea" (secretion of milk from the breasts when a woman is not nursing). Any time EXCESSIVE milk production in unmarried woman should have to consult with Gynaecologist.

You need to go for tests like blood prolactin level,thyroid function test,FSH/LH study, CT scan of brain,Mamograph etc.....all things to do if the amount of milk produced is significant.

Galactorrhoea is a symptom of an underlying health problem that causes elevated prolactin levels. It is possible for pituitary, uterine, and ovarian tumors to cause inappropriate milk production. These conditions may be serious and should be carefully evaluated. Other conditions include hyperthyroidism, chronic renal failure, psychosis and anxiety, certain medications, fibrocystic breast, herpes zoster, or severe stress.

Sometimes drugs can be used to suppress milk production, but that's only a temporary fix. Total treatment involves treating the underlying cause.

Some women just seem to leak more than others. It probably due to cyclical changes related to your menstrual cycle, and doesn't mean that anything is wrong at all. So don't worry.

According to me, drop of milk after pressing breast sound to be normal. If milk comes out more,then need to consult with your physician.

All the best. For further suggestion,mail ID:
All the best
Answered: Sat, 5 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Gautam Das's  Response
Hi. Sometimes due to hormonal imbalance these kind of episodes might occur. How are your periods? please consult a gynecologists to investigate you properly.
Answered: Sat, 5 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor